Running Plan

Posted: March 28, 2016 in Creative Writing, Fitness
Tags: , , , ,

As I stated in a previous post, i’m trying to follow the 80/20 theory when it comes to my running.  For those that missed the post, I have been reading a book called 80/20 Running, and what the point is, is to follow a 80/20 training plan, where 80% of your running is at low intensity, and the remaining 20% is broken between moderate, and hard training.  According to the studies mentioned within the book, most runners (casual and competitive), spend the majority of their training time in the moderate level of intensity, without even being aware of it.  So even when we think we are doing an easy run, we usually revert to a pace that is just under our race pace, and that is comfortable to us.

I have done two runs since I started reading this book, and have been trying to implement the methods that I have been reading about, but it’s a lot harder to get into and stay in the low intensity threshold.  Every time I think I have gotten into the perfect pace within the boundaries of an easy run, I look at my watch and see that I have sped back up to my usual pace.  This see saw effect of pace is a pain, but it is recommended to keep your runs short while you break yourself out of the moderate pace.

My goal for the next two weeks is to find and keep the pace needed for easy runs.  I am capping my weekly mileage at 25 miles per week.  I run three miles in the morning and another two in the evening after my workout.  I’m hoping that after these two weeks I can start upping my milage, without it affecting my pace.  As i’m not an elite runner trying to compete in National events, my end goal is to run about 50 miles a week.  All this running is to help my cardio and endurance to help me in Obstacle and Mud runs.

Let me know what you think of the 80/20 method.  Are you with it or you more of a HIIT (high intensity interval training) type of person?  Thank you for reading.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s